- First, take the bag labeled “Barrel-Kleen” and dissolve it into 1 gallon of warm water.
- Next, fill your barrel with the cleaning solution created from step 1, and let it soak for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, empty the cleaning solution from the barrel, and rinse the barrel three times with hot water.
- Next, take the bag labeled “Barrel Neutralizing Acid” and dissolve it into 1 gallon of warm water.
- Now, fill your barrel with this new neutralizing solution and let it soak for about 15 minutes.
- Dump out the neutralizing solution, and rinse your barrel three times with hot water.
- *Optional* Let the barrel dry for 3 hours. If you’d like to “re-char” your barrel, now is the time. To re-char, simply do so with a butane torch, carefully through the bung hole.
- Rinse the barrel again with warm water.
- Next, take the two sterilizing tablets(should be the only thing left in your oak barrel cleaning kit), and dissolve them into 1 gallon of cold water, and fill your barrel with the solution.
If you plan on re-using your barrel immediately, you can rinse the barrel three times with cold water.
It is recommended that barrels be stored with a sterilizing solution, when not fill will spirits.